973.729.6191 ext. 322
The Debate Team provides students with the opportunity to discuss current topics in debate form. Members are encouraged to keep up on current international and national events. Debates are scheduled with other schools in the area. Membership is open to all students who are interested in public speaking and current issues.
Debate Team Press Release
For the second tournament in a row Sparta Debate is victorious with a tournament win at Mt. Olive HS
The Affirmative Team dominated Jefferson, Dover, Kittatinny and Sussex Tech with an Affirmative sweep. Well done!
The Negative Team rocked Roxbury and smashed Sussex Tech with two negative team wins
Sparta Debate BACK ON TOP!
Starts September 18, 2014
Thursdays after school in room 253 (general team meetings)
2:15 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Lunch practice- Days 2 or 4 (individual coaching, if needed)
10/17 - Roxbury HS
11/14 - Jefferson HS
12/19 - Mount Olive HS
1/30 - Sussex Technical HS
2/13 - Championship at Sparta HS
The United States federal government should substantially increase its non-military exploration and/or development of the Earth’s oceans.
- Research- thoroughly research the resolve topic in preparation of debate
- Attendance- team members must attend practice sessions each week in order to show the coach research and formulate debate plans
- Tournaments : five away league tournaments
- Absence policy- Debate absences are “Excused” but are counted in your totals
- Make-up work- Keep up with class make-up work caused by tournament absences
- Dress- all team members will come dressed appropriately to the tournaments. *
- Men- button-down shirt, tie, and slacks
- Women- conservatively, long dress or slacks
*Improper attire will result in exclusion from the tournament
- Behavior- always act in an appropriate manner that represents Sparta High School positively at all debate functions